Are you one of Scotland’s top tour guides?
What we are looking for….
At WOW Scotland we only work with the very best tour guides in the industry. It’s what makes our tours stand out from the crowd and how we have established ourselves firmly as one of the leading tourism business in the Scottish Highlands.
You will already have spent at least one year delivering high quality tours for another tour operator or tourist attraction. You will take immense pride in delivering great quality experiences and will be no stranger to five star reviews on TripAdvisor, Facebook and/or Google .
To succeed in this role you will be an excellent communicator with a great personality. Your easygoing and outgoing manner will put customers at ease and your exceptional storytelling and presenting skills will keep customers informed and entertained along the way. For the rare time when things go wrong great listening skills are also essential, to ensure customers’ problems are understood and dealt with appropriately.
You will already have exceptional knowledge of the Scottish Highlands and will be willing and able to continue building on this to ensure you can answer any and all questions that may be thrown at you!
Here at WOW Scotland we are focused on exceeding our customers’ expectations by delivering a five star experience on each and every tour. The successful candidate must be driven and focused on giving a high level of care, ensuring that every customer’s experience is outstanding.
You will be leading tours on our ultra-modern fleet of 28-seater executive tour vehicle. On our Skye Tour you will work in partnership with one of our experienced tour drivers, meaning you can focus on entertaining the customers, whilst your driver focuses on their safe transportation. On our tours you will be responsible for both driving and guiding (note that we will also consider applications from tour guides without a PSV qualification).
Your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following;
- Meet and greet customers at the start of the tour
- Ensure that you are prepared for any customers with additional needs
- Provide insightful and entertaining commentary on the tours, to fit with the WOW ethos and to include;
- Focus on stories, rather than a historical narration
- Using the surrounding scenery as prompts
- Humorous/lighthearted anecdotes
- Use of handouts such as maps to illustrate the route
- Interaction with customers as much as possible
- Converse with customers at each stop, ensuring that they are happy and comfortable
- By the end of each tour, have chatted to every customer individually; we aim to provide a personal experience and to ensure that everyone feels welcome and included
- Work closely with the Tour Driver to provide a seamless service
- Go above and beyond to make sure that all customers have a fantastic experience
- Quickly and appropriately deal with any issues/complaints on the tour, to ensure that every customer walks away happy
- And finally, be a WOW Scotland ambassador at all times
Essential experience and skills
- Minimum of one year of experience working as a tour guide for another tour operator or visitor attraction.
- At least 20 5 star reviews mentioning your name on TripAdvisor, Facebook or Google
- Commitment to excellent customer service and a desire to go the extra mile to ensure that tourists have the best possible experience in Scotland
- Interest in and passion for Scotland, and particularly the Scottish Highlands
- Broad knowledge of Scottish history, geography, folklore, nature and geology
- The ability and willingness to continually learn and develop your knowledge
- Enthusiastic, energetic and confident – a fun personality is absolutely essential
- Excellent verbal communicator
- Great storytelling skills
- Ability to effectively engage with people of different ages, nationalities and cultures
- Ability to think on your feet and solve problems
Desirable experience and skills
- Foreign languages, in particular German
Salary and working conditions
- £14 – £16 per hour (up to £33,300 pro-rata)
- Year round work available (although there are also opportunities for seasonal contracts, depending on your availability)
- Our tour season runs from March to November. As such, there will be limited opportunity for extended holidays during the summer, but longer paid or unpaid holidays during the winter period can certainly be discussed
- Full and part-time opportunities available
- Excellent potential for tips
How to apply for this role
Please send your CV and a cover letter/email to email@example.com. The cover letter should outline why you would like to work for WOW Scotland, and what you feel you can bring to the role.